Wednesday, May 4, 2016

MOMS Nugget

I had the pleasure of getting to share a five minute testimony of what God has been teaching me this year at MOMS this week.  MOMS stands for Making Our Mothering Significant and it is one of the ministries for women at our church.  This is what I shared on Tuesday: 

"My initial thought when I considered speaking at this MOMS meeting was no.  I thought no for a couple of reasons.  One reason is because I’m a fairly new mother.  My son was born almost 14 months ago which made me wonder what I could possibly share that would bless you more seasoned mothers.  The other reason I had thought no was because when I reflected over the past year, I couldn’t think of anything big that happened.  I didn’t have a consistent trial or anything really dramatic happening that caused a lot of growth.  However, when I thought more about what this year has been like I realized it has been a huge year. Becoming a mom has been one of the most life changing things I have ever experienced. My son’s year was full of firsts for him and consequently full of firsts for our little family.  My day-to-day life also changed a lot when I decided to stay home with Harrison.  Instead of teaching and I spent my days taking care of our baby (and trying to stay on top of things like cooking and cleaning which has proven to be trickier than I anticipated).  Never has serving another person come so easily and yet still been so challenging and confusing at times.  

As Harrison’s mom, I was (well am) responsible for taking care of him (physically, emotionally, spiritually, etc.) and that is really quite daunting honestly.  You don’t want to screw up your kid.  And this is where God has met me countless times throughout this year.  He has met me in conviction of prideful attitude of thinking I’m doing all the right things and my kid is the best kid ever.  He has met me in conviction of frustration I’ve had after unwanted comments and suggestions from others.  He has met me in my disappointment as I have failed in many goals throughout the year.  He has met me in my loneliness.  He has met me in my concern that I’m not doing it right or as good as other moms when I get caught up in comparison.  He has met me in the legitimate fear that I cannot save Harrison and make him love Jesus.  He has met me in these places and so many more including the countless happy moments.  

In these things I have been so thankful to be loved by a God who is faithful.  To be loved and to be known.  He knows me in a way no one else can and He loves me still.  He sees me in my hurts and struggles and because of Jesus He doesn’t look away, but instead draws me to himself.  It is so sweet and glorious and fills me with amazement and wonder at how he continually provides me with grace each and every day.  And he does that for all of his children!  What a great God we have.  I have been doing a Bible Study by Beth Moore on the patriarchs and have been struck by God’s faithfulness to Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. He kept his promises to them even when they strayed and he does the same for us.  He met them in their fear and doubt and loneliness and confusion and the happy times too and he always provided what they needed.  He was committed to them and he is committed to us.  

A verse that has blessed me this year is Psalm 26:3 “For your steadfast love is before my eyes, and I walk in your faithfulness.” He provides us with what we need for each moment. He does not give us struggles and hurts to see how strong we are, but to show us how strong and steadfast he is.  Likewise he does not give us happy times to show how great we are, but how great he is.  He has promised to keep us always.  I can do nothing apart from God’s grace and I have been learning more of what it is to walk in his grace especially in this job he has given me of being Harrison’s mother."  



No comments:

Post a Comment